Sunday, December 5, 2010

Awaiting the Coming of Our Savior


Blessed Second Week of Advent! This year I have a home to decorate for all seasons and holy days, and I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge of doing so... on a budget! My husband and I wanted to truly live out this season of Advent and we knew that if we decorated too early for Christmas the season of Advent wouldn't penetrate our hearts. Recognizing that the Church created seasons for a reason, we have tried our best to immerse our senses, minds, and hearts into this time of preparation.

Above you can see I did a bit of decorating. Thanks to Charlotte's blog, Waltzing Matilda, I was given some great ideas to help us visually celebrate the season. This season we're focussing on the virtue of patience - but I bet you could've figured that out! Underneath it reads, "We wait in joyful hope." On the left is our Jesse Tree which we started on the First Sunday of Advent, although some Jesse trees begin on December 1st. There is just something about a lit tree that helps a home feel warmer and cozier. I come from a family that traditionally put up the Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. Doing a Jesse Tree has helped me focus on the season of Advent while still having the warmth and glow a Christmas tree gives to a home. Lastly, I put up an empty stable and manger, and cut out a silhouette of Mary and Joseph traveling using cardstock (this was also an idea from the Waltzing Matilda blog). This was a very tough project. I am still not completely satisfied as Mary is falling back a bit even after using some support beams (aka popsicle sticks). I do love the look of the silhouette and it certainly is appropriate for Advent.

I spent this second Advent Sunday making pretzel wreaths and chocolate chip cookies for our church's youth group which is in a half hour. We have yet to grab some dinner beforehand, so I need to fly! Peace and blessings to you and yours during this season of Advent!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda- the Dollar Tree can be your holiday decorating friend! I have garland on all my railings and balcony, some with little red bows. My wreath is from there too! I bought an artificial wreath and attached a ribbon and little ornaments (pack of 12 for $1). Yes, up close some of them look inexpensive, but I don't care and enjoy having a festive home. I'm also fond of using candle warmers instead of lighting candles. This way, they've lasted me about 3 years! Season's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see you are blogging again and enjoying Advent! Enjoy this season of firsts with your new hubby :) I've been loving having this year to celebrate our first Advent and Christmas at home with a little one- it's been so much fun seeing Lil' Man's excitement over all the new things. I know he's going to enjoy the chocolate coin St. Nicholas is leaving in his shoe tonight :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete