Friday, September 24, 2010

New home... New chairs

Laura, my mother-in-law, gave us a wonderful dining room set - complete with table and chairs, a bureau, and a china cabinet. They had been in her basement for some years, and the leather covering on the chair seats had gotten quite worn down over the years. I had decided that recovering them would be my first project once we settled in our new home.

Although I've never done such a thing before, or used a staple gun, I figured, how hard can it be? I set out for Hobby Lobby one day and perused their decorative fabric aisles. I knew in my head the colors I wanted to incorporate and the type of design, but I wasn't quite sure if they would have such a thing. Sometimes my ideas and what exists in reality can be far off. Fortunately, that was not the case this day. As soon as I saw it I knew that it would be the fabric for the chairs. I grabbed the roll (I say roll and not bolt because it wasn't with their other fabrics that they keep on bolts... but who knows, maybe this is still considered a bolt).

I had already measured the chair seats prior to this shopping trip, but even so I felt completely intimidated approaching the fabric counter. See, I know next to nothing about fabric - what type of fabric is best for what project, characteristics of each type of fabric, the best way to estimate yardage needed for a project - nope, I have zero smarts in this area... or maybe just lack of experience. Either way, I was hoping that whoever would help me would have some GREAT advice. What a blessing it was then, when the lady who did help me was not only kind, but didn't mind that I had no idea what I was doing. I explained the project and shared my measurements, we laughed together as we both tried to do the math, and then we finally decided where to cut the fabric. Not only was it a pleasant experience, but I learned more about how to use and estimate for my fabric usage!

So, three days and two staple guns later....

This is what I achieved!

The leather on these chairs had been loved A LOT.


The new fabric!


All the supplies I bought (minus scissors) with the wooden chair seat.


The final comparison. I think they turned out fantastically!

So, this project has really encouraged the other endeavors I have cooped up in my head. I would really like to make our apartment feel a bit more homey. With one task under my belt, I have already begun my next project (more like a series of projects): stripping and staining various pieces of furniture, namely, our dresser, a chest of drawers, and two bookshelves. This project will obviously take much more time and precision, but I'll be sure to put up some photos.

My last thought: Last year, as I was teaching, I was saddened of how little I was able to use my hands to do my work. Oh sure, writing on the whiteboard used them, and typing on my computer, but I have always been a kinesthetic learner. I love to play sports, rearrange spaces, to draw, sculpt, cook, bake, etc. I am finally so happy to have the opportunity to work with my hands. Praise God, and thank you!


2 comments:

  1. Love what you did with your chairs! Almost everything in my house looks pretty much the same as they did before you recovered them- want to come to my house and do some projects??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to come and do those projects! Perhaps our paths shall cross some time... God willing!

    ReplyDelete